Day 6: Proctor en Segovia the Sequal

Monday, May 15, 2023


Where else to meet the former queen Sofía of Spain than at your local Houston Food Bank:)?


After a much-needed weekend of leisure, I returned to the Houston food bank with the mindset of putting in long hours. I got at the food bank nice and early, just before my shift began, and to my surprise, there were at least 7-8 fine looking cars tinted in all black lined up outside the food bank's main door, surrounded by a bunch of secret service agents in suits. I tried to get a better look, but I was quickly stopped by one of the agents, who informed me politely that I would be on TV today. Once inside the actual building, I had to rub my eyes to make sure, but IT WAS THE SOFIA THE QUEEN OF SPAIN. OH MY GOD, but I had to head directly into the repack room where we were doing backpack buddies again, only this time I was on recycling duty. During my shift, though, the queen came in for a visit, and I was able to speak with her briefly, which will be a lifelong experience. We finished 8 pallets of food, or 7,200 meals, at the end of a VERY productive and MEMORABLE shift. The most ever! Noah and I were pulled aside from apparently working in the kitchen for our afternoon shift and were instead tasked with unloading kitchen equipment from one truck to a larger vehicle. The equipment was large, so it was no simple effort for two people, but we pulled it off in the Houston heat, drenched in sweat but really proud. I was saddened to learn at the conclusion of my shift that it was Noah's last shift here as he finished his hours, so we shook hands farewell.


I want to make more unforgettable friends like Noah!


Hours Today: 8 hours

Total Hours: 47 hours


The queen in all her glory




 

Comments

Popular Posts