Day 10: The Feeling that Counts

 Friday, May 19, 2023


Seeing how close I am to my hours, I spent my entire morning planning out the poster I am going to make of the answers I accumulated over the time I spent volunteering and why people volunteer. I added my favourite quotes said by people to a Google doc and went shopping for cardboard and some art and crafts stuff, I want to stand out during express fest.


By around 12, I find myself back at the Houston Food Bank for my last shift in a while, as I got placed in the repack room where we get to be in the very first stage of the entire operation. We unbox all the donated boxes we get from Amazon, Walmart, and family donations to check for expiration dates. We would sterilize the product and put them into new boxes so that phase 2 of the operation (the conveyor belt) would start sorting the items into categorized boxes. Even though it was for 4 hours straight, in the Houston Food Bank, surrounded by great people and music, 4 hours is nothing to me anymore. At the end of the session, we went through 16 pallets of assorted items (so much that our group leader had to restock the pallets twice!) and that would be equivalent to 8261 lbs of food that can be turned into 6885 meals. I’m really going to miss the satisfaction of huge numbers being said by the end of each shift. I hope to experience that feeling again, in or outside the Houston Food Bank. 


Hours Today: 6 hours

Total Hours: 76 hours






Comments

Popular Posts