Day 5: Friends!


 Friday, May 11, 2023


I breathed a sigh of relief today as I realized I am probably going to be okay in college. I am capable of making friends! I don’t have to worry about being lonely! 


I came to the food bank today looking forward to reuniting with Noah and continuing our success from yesterday. I didn’t expect that many of his friends from school also had to do hours at the food bank today, so I was a little bummed out it wasn’t just me and him. Luckily, today was “clear out day” in the food bank where they took all the items donated to the bank and make us volunteers sort them, put them into boxes, check their expiration dates, and clean them. I stood awkwardly next to Noah as he was primarily talking to his school friends, I on the other hand was really focused on just cleaning as I felt left out, however, I mustered up the courage and introduced myself to them. Luckily, I clicked with them straight away as we talked about how college life would be. Small talks become more personal talks like ideal types and future family conversations and before we knew it we completed 4 hours of labour. By the end of our first session, we were able to clear 15 pallets which is equivalent to 10,483lbs of food that can become 8,735 meals! My plan for my second session was to work in the kitchen, but my new friends convinced me to do “backpack buddies” which is an assembly line of canned goods where we make a bag of goodies to give to children who are on meal plans at school. I was the re-stocker where I would keep restocking the products on the table as people packed them into bags with my friends and just like the morning session, 4 hours flew by again. This is where I realized that seeing how I can make friends in a completely new state like this, I have the capability to make friends! At the end of the session, we were able to clear out 8 pallets of 240 boxes that were put into 1200 bags that make 7200 meals! I am so proud of what I have accomplished this week and I hope to recreate it next week!


Hours Today: 8 hours

Total hours: 39 hours


Achievement!


Re-stocker in action!


Cleaning products!


Comments

Popular Posts