Day 8: Rinse and Repeat

 Wednesday, May 17, 2023


I discovered a little something about myself today that might be useful in the future. I am definitely capable of working on something specific for a long time, but every once in a while, if I were to change locations, maybe I'll be even more efficient?


I started my shift bright and early at 8 AM in the kitchen where the agenda today was making snack packages, making turkey and cheese sandwiches along with meal prepping for tomorrow’s hot dinner. I was quickly assigned to the mixed fruits section of the snack package assembly line where we had to again put these snacks into the small plastic bag which was annoying as we had to arrange the snacks in a particular order to make the bag compact. Still, the people ahead of me kept messing it up which did annoy me a bit as I had to rearrange the bag as it got to my section. Luckily, after an hour, I was assigned to the cheese section of the sandwich line. This was a pretty easy task as all I needed to do was spectate the plastic from the cheese and stick the cheese to the sand. It was a much-needed mix-up to my routine in the kitchen. An hour later, I find myself lining up frozen chicken tenders on big trays for the cooks to fry them tomorrow and serve chicken tenders for the hot meal. I also hopped on the hotline serving up pasta and meatballs as I was in the pasta section, (phew because if I was put in the meatball section I would not have the patience to place exactly 5 meatballs on each tray). Change in the environment really helps when it comes to volunteering as I find it mind-refreshing if I do something new every hour, hence for my afternoon shift I was on box-making duty while other volunteers were loading up canned goods as we made senior boxes (Box of goods that would be sent out to help the seniors). At the end of the day, the results the volunteers and I achieved were insane:  2,581 hot meals and 10 pallets which is equivalent to 11,138 meals in the senior boxes!


Hours Today: 8 hours

Total Hours: 63 hours






Comments

Popular Posts