Day 9: Why Volunteer?


 Thursday, May 18, 2023

As the end gets closer, I find myself asking this question more and more: Why the Houston Food Bank? 

Late shift again today, but it was because I overslept my 8 AM shift hence I had to sign up for the 10 AM shift instead haha. That’s okay though as the 10 AM shift is usually in the kitchen and at this point, just like Proctor I have familiarized myself with the whole kitchen crew here and have created this sort of bond with them. Apparently, according to Tiffany (the prominent leader in charge of the kitchen), Thursday is when the kitchen is most busy as a lot of places request not only hot meals but cold meals. I got started off with the cold meals for the first time which was exciting where we served tortillas with chicken on a side of cucumber and tomato salad. I kinda enjoyed the whole experience because it was just like a hot meal just without the heat. And with the Houston heat trust me this was like heaven. After we completed 2,474 meals we moved straight onto the hot meals where today it was mac n cheese with the chicken tenders we prepped yesterday and green string beans. I got to be the runner again today and since I haven’t been for a while I forgot how hot it got and how fast the whole process is. I did not once get time to catch my breath as I had to constantly run carrying hot food around, the hardest part is definitely avoiding other people and also carrying hot food around as everything is so fast-paced. At the end of my shift, we were able to make 2,562 hot meals too. In the afternoon I was in a new part of the food bank again on the carousel where donated boxes of goods are put on the carousel and as it rotates we have to organize the product to our section. This was surprisingly a very calming experience and was much needed as a contrast to the high pace of the kitchen. 


We stopped at 4 PM and to make up for oversleeping, I stayed an hour and asked why people volunteered at the food bank as I want to present at express fest. The answer that stuck out to me was “I was just very free during the summer and what better way to spend my time than helping people out” 


Hours Today: 7 hours

Total Hours: 70 hours



Comments

Popular Posts